Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tiny T-shirt Refashion

So many refashions seem to be taking big clothes and making them much smaller (example: adult clothes to toddler clothes) But I found this too-small long sleeve t-shirt in the 50-cent bin at the thrift outlet and I couldn't resist the cute print...

So I rummaged around until I found another 50-cent shirt in the teal color. It's an old men's polo.

I disassembled the shirt and sewed the sleeves between the front and back pieces to be come sides.


I made a pattern for the front and back yokes using the neckline and sleeve-hole portions of a burda pattern, and then cut the yokes from the teal fabric.

Then the bottom was cut from the print fabric. Since the front yoke ends higher than the back, the print fabric needed to come up higher in the front, so the previous shirt-back became the shirt-front.

The tops of the original sleeves were still left-over, so I made them into short sleeves, and sewed on the (already hemmed) bottom of the polo shirt sleeves as trim.

Lastly, I mimicked the circles from the print fabric by stitching in white onto the teal yoke... it was pretty simple, I'm not sure that it even counts as embroidery.



Shirt front:

Shirt back:
Here's a detail of the lazy-embroidery:


I'm very happy with it, especially for a $1 shirt!

15 comments:

  1. This is too cute! I love it and love that you took something smaller and made it bigger, hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love the result! I would never have noticed the potential in those two tops :-)

    Have you come across Gina at clutterpunk.blogspot.com? She's also taken a refashion pledge and is coming up with some really creative stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely! Way to salvage the print. I agree- it's irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is totally awesome for $1 - I like how you added the circles on the teal yoke as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration; I have a couple of too-small cotton/linen blend shirts that I'm trying to figure out how to remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very impressed. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally amazed! found your site through another blogger's link :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, great idea! I have that same shirt (the circles one) but it's super low cut so I never wear it. I'm going to steal your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa you have skills! I love how you brought it all together with the embroidered circles on the yoke. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect. How lovely. I'm very inspired... I've had no luck with stretch-knits so far in the refashioning department. The how-to is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great, and I'm really inspired by the fact that you've 'upsized' an item (I always dive for the too-big items, but I'm also far more curvy than you!!).
    The 'lazy circles' totally count as embroidery. Is that tear-away stabilizer or something? I'm really not sure how to sew with stretch knits or to embroider on them, so I'm curious to know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and now this will make 3 comments - I thought the first one got lost, so I wrote again with a few extra questions. Sorry! Now I look like a total stalker :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this shirt! You've done a great job inspiring me! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful; thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete