Sunday, April 26, 2009

Babies, Babies, Everywhere!

I know way too many people that are pregnant right now!  When I started this blog I was worried that I wouldn't be able to sew fast enough to keep up regular postings, but what I have found is that I'm too busy sewing to sit down and post!

So this is a baby quilt for my friend Lena, who is expecting a little girl in June.  Her theme is ladybugs (who knew there was SO MUCH ladybug stuff out there?) but I tried to be more subtle and just use the colors of her decor.  I think her husband appreciated this because his home has been overtaken by red and pink insect cartoons. Here's the originally selected fabrics, although I added a touch of green later just to add visual interest.


I tried* to use a pattern on this, it was free online at this link: http://www.camelotcottons.com/files/file/free_projects/27.pdf
*By tried I mean I loosely followed the instructions... I'm not good at patterns.

I've also heard of this pattern as "spiderwebs" which smart people do as paper piecing.  If I were to do it again I would certainly consider the paper piecing approach because, as the image below illustrates, it's REALLY difficult to match 8 triangles into a single point!
The primary deviations from the pattern were the following:
-I resized the pattern to about 60% of the original since this is a smaller quilt (approx 45"x45")
-I didn't want the "flowers" to be cut in half along the borders, so I made additional templates as needed to have only complete flowers.

Here's the finished product!









No comments:

Post a Comment