So this is a baby quilt for my friend Lena, who is expecting a little girl in June. Her theme is ladybugs (who knew there was SO MUCH ladybug stuff out there?) but I tried to be more subtle and just use the colors of her decor. I think her husband appreciated this because his home has been overtaken by red and pink insect cartoons. Here's the originally selected fabrics, although I added a touch of green later just to add visual interest.
I tried* to use a pattern on this, it was free online at this link: http://www.camelotcottons.com/files/file/free_projects/27.pdf
*By tried I mean I loosely followed the instructions... I'm not good at patterns.
I've also heard of this pattern as "spiderwebs" which smart people do as paper piecing. If I were to do it again I would certainly consider the paper piecing approach because, as the image below illustrates, it's REALLY difficult to match 8 triangles into a single point!
The primary deviations from the pattern were the following:
-I resized the pattern to about 60% of the original since this is a smaller quilt (approx 45"x45")
-I didn't want the "flowers" to be cut in half along the borders, so I made additional templates as needed to have only complete flowers.
Here's the finished product!